Thursday, February 16, 2012

Dreamgirls or NWLC???

About a week ago, the Muny in St. Louis held auditions for their summer shows.  One of the shows that they are performing is Dreamgirls, starring the one and only Jennifer Holliday as Effie.  I was so excited to be a part of the show, so I decided that I would audition.  I went to the Muny webpage to check the show dates...July 16-22.  Awesome!

I then checked my e-mails, and I received something from worshipleader.com about the National Worship Leader Conference in Leawood, KS.  I checked it to see who would be presenting and performing at the conference.  Ricardo Sanchez and Israel Houghton are two of the main acts for the conference.  SWEET!  I am so determined to go this year.  To learn from these men of God would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  I checked the conference dates... July 16-19.  Great... wait a minute!

Being a musician, it would be awesome to share the same stage as Tony and Grammy-Award winning Jennifer Holliday.  As a worship leader, it would be beneficial to learn what praise and worship is all about. WHAT SHOULD I DO?????

This is what I was thinking last week.  I told people that I was thinking about the audition, but in the back of my mind I was thinking more about how I was going to stay in Kansas for 4 days.  I talked to my Mama and sister about the conflict; I even talked to a couple of friends about it.  It all came down to these questions:  Which one would be more beneficial in the long run?  Which one am I first, a singer or a worshipper?

I decided not to audition.

I know, I know.  It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to perform with such a  powerhouse.  I had to look at what my life is calling me to do.  I have been called to be a praise & worship leader.  Not just for my church, but wherever I go. I recently led worship service at a Lutheran church here in St. Louis.  That is where God uses me to my capacity... that and pulpit supply, or preaching.  I have poured out onto my congregation and my praise team majority of the knowledge that I have, and I need a refill.  I can't get it through Dreamgirls.  I am so excited for the decision, and I'm more excited for the experiences that I will have at NWLC.

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment